Saturday, January 16, 2010

Grimms Märchen

The last time I read all of Grimm's fairy tales was probably about 35 years ago, when I was a child. We had a big, green hardcover book, printed in small font, with strange lithographs accompanying the tales, and I found it quite intimidating, but nonetheless, I read them all.

Re-reading the complete Grimm's, I find them just as gruesome as I did as a child. There are about 200 tales, and I am right now at #12, already observing one strange trend: the kings and queens can do whatever they want, if they repend, they will stay rich and happy. The little people are the ones that usually end up screwed by fate. Especially enlightening was the tale of cat and mouse, which shows, that if you do what you are supposed to, and be a honest and nice person, you'll get eaten, so better lie and be mean.

I am looking forward to reading the rest. One or two before going to sleep is perfect. I am curious, whether the trend is going to continue, and whether there are more strange things to observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment